Vines were first planted in Langhorne Creek, south of Adelaide, by Frank Potts soon after the establishment of Bleasdale in 1850. The region is a large, broad, sparsely-populated plain watered by the Bremer and Angas rivers. It was named after Alfred Langhorne, a drover who crossed the Bremer River at a place that became known as Langhorne's Crossing. The name evolved to become Langhorne Creek. A cool, maritime region with deep, fertile, alluvial soils, Langhorne Creek is best known for medium to full bodied red wines made, in particular, from shiraz, cabernet sauvignon and malbec. Reliable quality and volume has made it a favoured source for major producers and much of the region’s large crop goes to make wines that are not specifically identified with the region.