We value your trust and take the protection of your personal information very seriously. This document outlines the way in which we collect, hold, secure, use and share your personal information. We encourage you to read it, so that you are comfortable with what we do and can help us improve your experiences with us.
About EGL Group
Endeavour Group (referred to as EGL, ‘we’ or ‘us’) includes Endeavour Group Limited ABN 77 159 767 843 and its brands, businesses and related companies, including Dan Murphys, BWS, Jimmy Brings, Cellarmasters, Langtons and ALH Group.
- the kinds of personal information we collect and hold
- how we collect and hold it
- the purposes for which we collect, hold and use it
- how we secure it
- how, and to whom, we share your personal information, including overseas, and why
- your right to access and correct it
- how you may contact us if you wish to make a complaint or enquire about privacy matters.
There are some matters to which this policy does not apply. Please refer to the “What other privacy terms may apply?" section below.
As defined by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), "personal information" means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
We always want to provide you with the highest level of service, so we collect and hold personal information necessary for our business activities and to enable us to provide the information, goods or services you might be looking for. If we do not collect the information, we may not be able to provide these things.
We collect your personal information directly from you when you activate or use our services, interact with us, either in person, over the telephone or electronically (e.g. via websites, apps, social media posts, chats, telephone, emails and/or SMS) or as otherwise required by law. For example:
- your contact details including your name, email addresses, telephone numbers, residential and delivery addresses;
- your loyalty card number; or
- an electronic copy of the written communication or voice recording of the conversation (we always let you know when your conversations with us will be recorded).
Below are some examples of personal information we may collect from you and how we collect that information:
When you register to participate in one of our loyalty programs or when you use your loyalty card:
- your contact details;
- date of birth and gender;
- payment card and transaction details;
- information about purchases for which you earn loyalty points as well as your use of those loyalty points.
When you shop with us, including online, or browse our sites or apps:
- your contact details and loyalty card number
- information about your orders and purchases, including what, how, and when you buy from us, how you paid for purchases (including payment card details and transaction details);
- we may ask for your ID, such as your driver’s licence, if you purchase alcohol or tobacco or other forms of identification so that you can use certain services we provide;
- whether you have taken up or subscribed to any of our offerings such as clubs or loyalty programs, financial services products including insurance and credit cards or our apps;
- information about your online browsing behaviour on our internet sites and apps, including promotions you activated, as well as items you have added to your carts;
- information collected and held via our secure financial systems about the payment method you use for your purchases from us;
- like many websites, tracking technologies, such as "cookies", are used to obtain certain types of information such as application activities, current location of your device, type and version of your browser, your device ID and other device metrics when you visit our websites, apps or our trusted partners’ websites or apps see the ”Cookies Statement” below for details);
- images and video that you have posted online to facilitate our service provision or sales promotion; and
- information we collect via our apps on mobile devices or smart devices (e.g. smart watches), for example the current location of your device, type and version of your browser and, your device ID and other device metrics, as allowed by your device permissions.
When you contact us or we contact you to take part in competitions, promotions, testimonials, reviews, surveys, focus groups or make other enquiries:
- your contact details and loyalty card number
- whether you activated the promotion
- the content of online communications with you, including competitions, promotions, feedback, reviews, ratings, comments and images included on any of our websites, apps or social media pages or any of our other digital services
- an electronic copy of the written communication or voice recording of the conversation.
When you visit us in person, including for events:
- your contact details, your ID, and loyalty card number for in-store/in-hotel services such as pick up, home delivery or special orders;
- we may ask for your ID, such as your driver’s licence, if you purchase alcohol or tobacco;
- cameras (including security and smart cameras) may record footage and other data which may identify you; or
- your contact details if security or team members are investigating whether you may have breached any store procedures or if you are injured in any one of our stores or are witness to an incident.
When you purchase a Gift Card (e.g. a Dan Murphy’s Gift Card) from us:
- your contact details
- your gift card ‘Card Number’ and the corresponding ‘PIN’
- balance on the gift card and its transaction history.
From time to time we may also collect personal information about you from other sources to help us supplement our records, improve the personalisation of our service to you, manage our services, and detect fraud.
- our trusted partners to confirm your membership of the loyalty program, e.g. to convert Everyday Rewards points to your Qantas membership;
- State Governments for the purpose of exclusion from alcohol or gaming venues;
- information service providers to improve data quality, e.g. we validate addresses with Australia Post to improve your delivery experience; or
- financial services organisations for fraud prevention.
For many of our services, you generally have the option not to give us your name and can use a pseudonym if you prefer.
Yes, you may provide someone else’s personal information to us, for example,
- when you purchase a gift for others,
- place an order on someone else’s behalf, or
- when you open a Loyalty Program account on someone else’s behalf.
You must have their consent beforehand and we may ask you to provide evidence of that consent. You should not provide someone else’s information if you don’t have their consent, or for malicious purposes.
Some of our products and services may require us to collect your "sensitive information" (which is defined in the Privacy Act and is a subset of ‘personal information’) from you or from other sources. Sensitive information is only obtained with your consent or in certain limited permitted situations.
Your personal information is important to us. We design our systems with your security and privacy in mind.
We primarily collect, hold and use your personal information to supply, promote and sell goods and services that you have requested, or which may be of interest to you, so that we can improve and personalise your experiences. This may also include the products and services of our suppliers and trusted partners. EGL also collects, holds, and uses your personal information to meet legal requirements that EGL is required to follow.
- Personalisation: To identify your preferences, to recommend features, products, and services that may be of interest to you, and to personalise your experience with EGL.
- Communication: To send you offers and other communications that may be of interest to you.
- Create and maintain your loyalty account:To capture and reward your shopping behaviour, and to provide customer support if needed.
- Investigation: To assist in responding to your complaints or enquiries and to undertake investigations.
- Fraud detection and security: To verify your identity and to detect fraud activities. We may conduct auditing and monitoring of transactions and financial engagement.
- Improve our services and customer experience: To analyse performance, improve our systems and improve the usability, functionality and effectiveness of our services.
- Analysis: To analyse your personal information in an anonymised and combined way when we communicate with you about your preferences and interaction with EGL; for example weekly personalised specials.
- Legal Requirements: To comply with legal requirements including licensing and reporting obligations, EGL must collect and hold your personal information.
Your personal information is important to us and we are very focused on making sure it stays safe.
When you register to hold an account or become a member of any EGL brand or program, we may send you commercial electronic messages and tailored advertising if you agree to let us do so. We may send you these messages via various channels and media (including by email, SMS, phone and mail, or via advertising on certain websites and social media), but only where you have not opted out of receiving such electronic messages from that EGL brand or program in that channel.
Some of our service providers, including data storage and technology service providers, may be located or use locations outside of Australia.
- where we have made a business decision to engage with a trusted service provider to assist us with certain functions, including data storage, combining and analysing data and processing data;
- for disclosures between our related companies. Our main business locations are in Australia, but some of our Group companies may be based in other countries from time to time;
- when our business which collected your personal information is in a different country to your location;
- when our supply to you necessarily involves overseas disclosures. For example, a reinsurer of some of our insurance offerings uses computer systems in Switzerland and the United States to store insurance-related personal information; and
- where you are involved with public liability issues, we may share your personal information with our overseas insurer or other supplier of relevant services in the course of managing those issues.
You have a right to request access to the personal information we hold about you. You can access or correct your personal information on your online profile via your online account at any time.
If you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact our Privacy Officer in the “How to contact EGL" section below. It is your right to have your personal information corrected.
If you would like to complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, you may contact our Privacy Officer in the “How to contact EGL" section below. We may ask you to put your complaint in writing and to provide relevant details. We may discuss your complaint with our personnel and our service providers and others as appropriate.
There may be additional privacy notices and terms relevant to you depending on the nature of your dealings with us and on our particular businesses. There are additional privacy terms in our loyalty program and club membership terms and for use of our online sites, for example.
EGL uses tracking technologies like cookies to tailor and improve your online experience on our websites. As a customer, we value your trust and want to make it easy to understand what cookies are, how we use them to improve your experience on our websites and your options to control them on your devices.
Like most companies, we collect electronic information about you (which may or may not be personal information) using cookies and similar technologies when you visit our websites to personalise and improve your experience.
A cookie is a small file downloaded onto your device when you interact with any online content such as websites, social media sites and apps. The content may be our own, or may be the content of others in which we have an interest, such as our digital banner advertisements.
We allow cookies to be used for three reasons:
- First, we allow session cookies to be used when you visit our online content, including our websites. Session cookies enable your device to move from page to page without you having to log in repeatedly. The placement of this type of cookie generally improves your browsing experience. These cookies are removed when you close your browser and end your online session.
- Secondly, we set persistent (permanent) cookies on our website(s) to remember your preferences so that we can improve your website browsing experience. We also allow trusted third parties to set persistent cookies. Persistent cookies will be remembered when you visit the site again and are not removed when you close your browser. These cookies allow us to serve you with targeted advertising and measure the effectiveness of our site functionality and advertising.
- Thirdly, we use other tracking technologies (such as pixels, beacons and tags) to record your behaviour and activities when you visit our website(s) for the purpose of analytics and targeted online advertising. Collecting this information enables us to:
We have listed the main types of cookies used by EGL below.
- Essential website cookies: These cookies are needed to provide you with services available through our websites and to use some of their features, such as access to secure areas, maintain your security and privacy against potential risks and fraud activities to enable us to tailor our menu to your location. Because these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the websites to you, the websites might become inaccessible if you block those cookies.
- Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies enhance the performance and functionality of our websites. While not essential, certain functionality like videos and product recommendations may become unavailable without them.
- Analytics and customisation cookies: These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our websites are being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customise our websites for you.
- Advertising cookies: These cookies are used to make advertising messages more relevant to you. They perform functions like preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing, ensuring that ads are properly displayed for advertisers, and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on your interests.
- Social networking cookies: These cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content that you find interesting on our websites through third party social networking and other websites. These cookies may also be used for advertising purposes too.
You can control which sites and devices allow cookies to be used.
- You can change the settings on the software your device uses to access the internet (e.g. your browser settings). For example, depending on which browser your device uses, you may be able to disable certain third party cookies. If you do disable these cookies, you may find that the websites you intend to visit are not accessible or have only limited functionality.
- You can also control the extent to which you receive tailored advertising facilitated by cookies by changing your settings on the websites on which you receive tailored advertising. For example, you can disable tailored advertising on social media sites like Facebook by changing the settings on your account.
Please note that it may be necessary for you to opt out separately from each device and browser that you use to access online content.
- Stay smart online – all about cookies and your privacy;
- Office of the Australian Information Commissioner's fact sheet on targeted advertising.